Tuesday, July 22, 2014

We Have a READER!

I've been meaning to pop in and share some about what's been going on. I realized that my last post here was several months ago and it was sort of a general summary of what we were doing. Summer seems to be one of the most intense seasons of learning at the Schoolhouse in the City or at least it has been for the past two Summers I've been doing this. Anyway, I want to share some specifics about what we are up to.

Starting with....

THIS!
 This was the first day Annie read real words. I had to take a picture. I was so incredibly proud! 

A couple of weeks later Annie read her first "book" and just this week we've moved on to three word phrases. 

I pretty much hate phonics and I'm really enjoying the curriculum we are using, so that's saying a lot. I feel like Logic of English has been such a good fit for us. It goes pretty slow and it's easy to split the longer lessons up when I feel a little overwhelmed. It's really fun and engaging- Annie enjoys the workbook and most days include a game and the teacher's manual offers ideas for activities when we learn a new letter (as in learn all the sounds it makes and learn to write it). 

More than anything, though, I've loved being there for this and knowing I'm the one who helped her take her initial steps to what I hope will be a lifelong love of words. I so often hear stay at home mothers say that it meant so much for them to see their child's first steps or hear them say their first words. Honestly, and maybe it's that I have a teacher's heart still, this has meant more. It's such a big, big milestone to me and as I said I hope it's the foundation for something much bigger than she can now imagine. 

I'm so thankful the Lord has allowed me to be present as she begins such an amazing adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment